Capitalisation quandary (WSR)

I would appreciate some guidance on successful use of the capitalisation commands.

The VoicePower commands are not being recognised, “Caps On” and “Caps Off” are both recognised as “Canceling”. I tried the WSR commands “Caps” and “All Caps”, when dictating in this message they are simply not recognised, in Word 2007 “Caps” is not recognised and All Caps is apparently recognised but then works like Caps should, i.e. I say “All caps never” and get “Never”, by persevering “All Caps” did eventually work but “Caps” didn’t.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Graham

Graham,

You have to remember that you're using Windows Speech Recognition (WSR), not Dragon NaturallySpeaking. "Caps On" and "Caps Off" are not VoicePower commands. These are in fact Dragon commands. They are also not Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) commands. Therefore, try to use these with Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) is like spitting in the wind. They won't work.

We don't add commands that are native to Windows Speech Recognition (WSR). To find out exactly how these commands work, say "show speech options" and then say "open speech reference card" followed by "dictation". These will show you what you can say during dictation in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR).

For example, note the following:

To capitalize the first letter of the word, say "caps ".
To capitalize all of the letters in a word, say "all caps ".
To make all the letters in the word lowercase, say "no caps "

Note also the other dictations command in the Reference Card | Dictation. This tells you what you can say and how to say it.

As regards recognizing the commands as you note in your post, this is of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) recognition issue. Windows Speech Recognition (WSR), unfortunately, is not quite as efficient in terms of recognizing certain commands, or even all commands, under some conditions. Try conducting additional training with your Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) user profile. This usually helps. Unfortunately, Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) is not as robust at recognition accuracy, particularly with regard to commands, as DNS is. In addition, "caps " works on the next word you dictate. However, if the previous word is identical to the word that you wish to apply the "all caps" command to, then it will execute on the previous word. The same occurs with lowercase commands. In short, Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) works in some bizarre ways that take a lot of getting used to. You just have to play with it until you get it to work properly. Regardless, Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) has a lot of problems recognizing certain commands and the only suggestion that I can offer you is to do additional training and look at the command availability and manner in which you speak the commands in the Reference card.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR>Sorry I started off:<BR><BR>Main Menu<BR>VoicePower for WSR<BR>--> Show Command Lists</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>and then didn't notice that Capitalisation was for DNS only, the documentation still needs tidying up.<BR><BR>As for command recognition you are right, there seems to be a bug that prevents command recognition under certain conditions, it is somewhat surprising as I often dictate very complicated sentences that are recognised 100% or almost and yet what ought to be simple commands are not recognised, perhaps the problem is that they are simply too similar to other phrases whilst more complicated words are less likely to be misrecognised, I hope Microsoft is addressing/is going to address these issues eventually.<BR><BR>I appreciate what you say about not adding commands that are native to WSR however when the native ones don't work I wonder whether we can create our own custom commands to compensate?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Graham</DIV><edited><editID>emiliaserv</editID><editDate>2010-07-17 05:49:54</editDate></edited>

Graham,

In the process of rewriting the Capitalization Commands, there are a number of undocumented Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) commands. For the benefit of all using Windows Speech Recognition (WSR), note the following:

<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>“Caps On”, “Caps Off”, “All-Caps On”, and “All-Caps Off” are not WSR commands, nor are they a VoicePower commands, so they need to be removed from this section. In addition, “Cap That”, “All-Caps That”, and “No-Caps That”, “No-Caps On”, and “No-Caps Off” don’t belong here either because they are not WSR commands or VoicePower commands.<?: prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>

<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal><o:p> </o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>We need to add the following, which are undocumented in the “Command Reference Card:<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Capitalize (numbers duplicates and with the word or phrase to the immediate left of the cursor selected [OK], and capitalizes the choice by number and/or [OK])<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Capitalize that (capitalizes the last thing spoken)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Uppercase (numbers duplicates and with the word or phrase to the immediate left of the cursor selected [OK], and changers the choice by number and/or [OK] to UPPERCASE)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Uppercase that (changes the last thing spoken to UPPERCASE)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Lowercase (numbers duplicates and with the word or phrase to the immediate left of the cursor selected [OK], and changers the choice by number and/or [OK] to lowercase)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Lowercase that (changes the last thing spoken to lowercase)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: auto 0in” =para>Change the next 10 words to lowercase (Change the next number of words to lowercase)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Change the next 10 words to uppercase (Change the next number of words to UPPERCASE)<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Note also that for the last word or phrase spoken (utterance) you can use the following variations on Uppercase that and Lowercase that:<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt” =Msonormal>Uppercase it or Uppercase and Lowercase it or Lowercase<o:p></o:p>