Cannot shut down VoicePower

Hello forum members-
Last week I started having difficulty shutting down VoicePower (version 11.80.1) using my voice and manually. When I say “open VoicePower” the dialog box comes up, but the options for opening speech and shutting down speech are grayed out. When I tried to shut down VoicePower using the VoicePower icon in the system tray at the bottom of the desktop, the option for shutting down speech is not available from that location.

I have also experienced inconsistent performance with VoicePower and did a repair on Saturday, 11/17/12, but that did not help. Why do you think I am having this difficulty? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Do you think I should try a complete uninstall and reinstallation? FYI, I am using windows XP on an HP i5-540M computer with 2.53 Ghz and 2.98 ram. I am also having tremendous problems with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5 but will address those questions to the knowbrainer forum.

Thanks for any suggestions. Regards, Rita

Just say, “Open VoicePower” and the VP menu will open that will let you restart or shut down VP and/or Dragon.

In older releases like you have, you can’t shut down VP from the system tray if the microphone is asleep.
On Monday, I’ll send you a link to our next release of VoiceComputer which will be out by then. Our next release will have several new features and it’s also faster than previous releases because we’ve optimized it.
We’ll be emailing you about your problems with Dragon.

Hi Ron-
Thank you in advance for sending the new release.

I do need to let you know that the “open VoicePower” command does not work for me right now to shut down either VoicePower or Dragon. As I stated in my original post, the boxes/options for opening and shutting down speech and VoicePower appeared to be grayed out. I think that something is wrong with VoicePower.

Thanks for the information about not being able to shut down VoicePower from the system tray. I did not know that and will keep that in mind for the future. Regards, Rita

the options for opening speech and shutting down speech are grayed out.

Can’t figure out how that can happen. If you get a chance, send me a screen shot of this.
Thanks!