Cannot find custom overlays file

I am having a terrible time naming overlays and doing everything else with overlays in the configuration box. It tells me that the CustomOverlays.xml file is missing from the voice teach folder. Though I believe this, I cannot find this file anywhere in my computer. I did Windows search by pressing the winkey button and nothing turned up. Bizarre. How can I make this work?

The CustomOverlays.xml file is in the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom directory.

I believe that I fixed this error in a recent release.

The CustomOverlays.xml file is missing error will prevent you from naming overlays.

What release do you have and what else haven't you been able to do with the overlays in the configuration box?

We planning to release v1.3.9 within a couple of hours but we'll double check everything before we do that.

Hi Ron,
The problem is with 2, 3 and 4.

voiceman,

2, 3, and 4, what???

Please be absolutely clear in terms of those things to which you are referring. Otherwise, you leave us scratching our heads.

2. Configure intags font size and colors

3. Make Windows specific overlays for your applications

4. Name your overlay (myintag) commands

> 3. Make Windows specific overlays for your applications
> 4. Name your overlay (myintag) commands

Yes, a syntax error in broke 4, which broke 3.
What release do you have? (Need to know when this got messed up...
Say, Show VoiceComputer Version

Should be able to have a fix this afternoon.

2. is working for me. What problems are you having?
Ron,
Actually, number two is working. Version is 1.3.1.

Okay, I just released VC 2019 1.3.9A.

I think I fixed the errors that crept into my code for 3 & 4.

1.3.9 includes a new handout that should help new users quickly become familiar with the major features of VoiceComputer.

I do some of my programming by voice. Errors like this that come from nowhere is the reason that I don’t do more.

OK. Is it available for download now?

Voiceman,

If the link from which you downloaded your last version of VoiceComputer is current, the only version of VoiceComputer that you will find at that location is VC 2019 1.39.

Let us know if you either can’t access that link because it’s expired, or the version that you’re downloading is not the most current one.

Okay. I upgraded. Now, all my overlays are gone and I cannot use the voice commands (I made sure I checked them the configuration menu). In other words, I can’t say “open tag XXX”.

Okay, so I imported the voice shortcuts, but not the custom overlays. This is happened to me time and again. I always have to re-create them from scratch.

I always have to re-create them from scratch.

you should never have to do this. Sorry that we haven’t helped you avoid this.

With newer releases (1.25? and newer), you should be able to import your overlays and any custom names that you have, with the Import function (Screen two of Configure VoiceComputer.)

The import feature of previous releases should import your custom overlays but not the custom names.

Or, you can always do this manually by following these steps.

Upgrade.
Start VoiceComputer/Dragon.
Shutdown.
Copy the CustomOverlays.xml file from the
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer.bk3 directory (where “3” is the highest number)
to the
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer directory.

If you also want to import custom names for your overlays.

Copy the my_custom_cmds1.xml file from the
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer.bk3CommandsCustom directory
to the
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom directory.

Open VC/Dragon and use the overlays commands.

Voiceman,

Your custom overlays are located as follows:

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCustomOverlays.xml.

However, once you have correctly created your overlays or an overlay, you should be prompted to import your custom commands. In the latest versions of VoiceComputer, the prompts are quite obvious. Just make sure that you are importing your custom commands from the highest numbered backup. The way that Ron put it may be confusing to some, but the bottom line is that if you have 18 backup files, then you import from VoiceComputer.bk18. On the other hand if you only have 3, then you begin your import of your custom commands from VoiceComputer.bk3.

There are occasions when your custom commands may not have been correctly exported. If this is the case when you try to import from the highest numbered backup folder (VoiceComputer), try going back to the previous, or next highest backup folder. This happens on occasion.

Nevertheless, Ron is correct in that you should never have a problem recovering your custom overlays if you have created them correctly.
Chucker2019-04-07 20:11:10