C Dr. is full

Probably a stupid question, but I revel in the things I do well which includes stupid questions. My 40gigabyte C Dr. is full. With the new version of Dragon coming out (or should I say being shipped) soon, what would happen if I move Dragon and VoicePower to my larger D drive which has plenty of open space?

I also have KnowBrainer installed on the C Dr. I was going to move it to the D Dr. as well.

I had always heard you should place the key items on the I guess master drive. However, I don’t know what I can move off of the C Dr. If I move them to the D Dr., will I lose accuracy?

Thanks so much.

Jim

Jim,

<p>Based on everything I have read both here and on the KnowBrainer forum, the indication is that you have a 40 GB C drive which is an SSD drive. If this is the case, and while you can move everything to the D drive, you will be giving up the kind of overall performance that an SSD drive provides.</p>

<p>Although an SSD drive does not directly impact on the performance of DNS<font face="Arial">, it does specifically improve boot times and load times, and speeds up I/O operations any kind that DNS has to write something to the hard drive relative to your user profile. Moving DNS to the D drive would cause you to lose this type of performance advantage. An SSD 3.0Gb/s drive is significantly faster than even a standard 3.0Gb/s hard drive.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>My recommendation would be that rather than move DNS from your 3.0Gb/s SSD drive, you should first consider moving any other applications (i.e., Microsoft Office, KnowBrainer, and any applications that you don't use consistently on a regular basis, and leave DNS on the C drive (SSD drive)<font face="Arial">.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>In addition, in order to move any application from your C drive to your D drive, you would have to uninstall it first from the C drive and then reinstall it to the D drive. As regards DNS, you do not need to run the Dragon remove utility and you should respond in the affirmative when asked do you want to save your user profile during the uninstall. Also, make sure you uninstall while connected to the Internet so that you recover that activation. Regardless of whether you decide to do that or not<font face="Arial">, reinstalling DNS on your D drive will only install the program files. By default, your user profiles will remain on the C drive until or unless you manually export them using the Manage Users and then import them to your D drive. Then change the <default> setting for your user profiles by using the Browse button and browsing to the exported location on your D drive. Then you can remove the user profiles from your C drive.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>Keep in mind that the largest portion of DNS is your user profile(s)<font face="Arial">. Moving the location of your user profile from C drive to D drive would free up more space than installing DNS to D drive because your profiles are much larger than the program files and continue to grow in size the more you use them.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>Regardless of what you decide to, just remember what sacrifices you're going to have to make and what you might lose in terms of performance. Whatever your decision, just remember that everybody reporting on this issue on the KnowBrainer forum is correct<font face="Arial">. The minimum size for C drive when using DNS should be no less than 120 GB. A 40 GB drive is simply too small, especially if you're going to be using Windows 7. I managed quite well on my laptop with only a 160 GB C drive. Nevertheless, Windows 7 and several applications can eat up your 40 GB drive really fast.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>Also, remember that uninstalling and reinstalling applications is tedious enough, but adding loss of performance to that considering your system configuration (i.e., that is if you have a C drive that is an SSD drive<font face="Arial">) is not really a satisfactory solution. Also, I would be hesitant to use any of the mover applications because not all of them successfully or completely resolved registry entries when moving applications from one drive to another. You need to make sure that you purchase one that does reassign the registry entries when you simply copy and move an application. Regardless, you can't do that with DNS because the general configuration of DNS requires that you uninstall and reinstall in order to get it to work properly.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>I hope this is helpful. However, if I were you, I simply go out and buy a larger SSD drive<font face="Arial">. Yes, they are expensive compared to standard hard drives, but the expense is well worth the results. Just remember the old adage, almost doesn't count except in horseshoes and grenades, and once you pull the pin on a grenade, Mr. grenade is no longer your friend.</font></p><font face="Arial"></font>

Much appreciated, Chucker:

I agree my best answer is to buy a bigger SSD drive which I will do. I will then have my IT guy move my programs from my C Dr. to the new SSD drive. I one install DNS and VoicePower and KnowBrainer. Makes abundant sense in the long run.

if I understand your comment in the fifth paragraph, as a temporary fix, I can move my user profile from the C Dr. to the D Dr. to free up some space. If I leave DNS and VP on the C Dr. will everything work okay?

Thank you,

Jim

Jim,

<p>A 120 GB SSD drive should be plenty large enough to do what ever you want to do<font face="Arial">. I would keep those applications that benefit from the performance of the SSD drive on your C drive (120 GB SSD). That is, as you suggest, DNS and VoicePower. VoicePower is a small application relative to most other applications. DNS is a very large one given the size of one's user profiles and the size that they can get to. Nevertheless, I would keep everything for DNS on the C drive because DNS is always updating its files and the read write times are faster for the SSD than they are for a standard SATA (3.0Gb/s) hard drive.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>I also recommend that you get a copy of Diskeeper Pro Premier 2011 with Hyperfast<font face="Arial">. Hyperfast is Diskeeper's support for SSD drives. Diskeeper runs in the background and not only keep your drives defragmented, it actually uses a proactive approach that prevents fragmentation before it ever gets to that point. Hyperfast works exceedingly well with SSD drives, and given that it is in the background on-the-fly, it's practically 100% maintenance-free. That is it takes care of itself, "set it and forget it".</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>On the other hand, putting applications like Microsoft Office, KnowBrainer<font face="Arial">, Adobe products, and other applications that don't significantly benefit from the speed and performance of an SSD drive can go on your D drive without any loss in overall performance. What I found is that these applications don't significantly benefit from being installed on an SSD drive. That is, the difference in overall performance is not as significant. This is the way that you can keep your SSD drive relatively free of clutter. On the other hand, if you find that a particular application that you use all the time benefits from being installed to the SSD, then by all means install it there. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put something like Acrobat reader or any other application that you only use occasionally and that doesn't benefit significantly from the performance enhancement provided by the SSD, you won't lose anything by putting those on the D drive. Unfortunately, it's your call, but all the systems that I've built clients that have SSD drives, it depends on the size of the SSD drive and the speed relative to any particular application. The last system that I built was an overclocked Coreâ„¢ i7 2600K with the 256 GB Corsair SSD drive running at 6.0Gb/s, along with 2 x 1 TB Western Digital SATA III drives running at 6.0Gb/s. Because the C drive was large enough, I put Dragon, VoicePower, Microsoft Office, and the clients legal programs all on the C drive which left a little less than 150 GB free. The total time required to boot up that system and launch Dragon and VoicePower was approximately 18 seconds. There was also significantly less latency with DNS 11.0 on that system because the read/write operations for DNS ran like lightning. However, the benefit for that client was the fact that he was running all of his hard drives at 6.0Gb/s vs. 3.0Gb/s, which is the speed of any drives on most current laptops.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>You can move your user profiles to the D drive, but I don't think you would benefit much from doing so because if you populate your C drive (SSD) properly, you shouldn't need to and you will get the benefit of the faster read/write times, which will indirectly improve the overall performance of DNS.</p>

<p>The bottom line is that you have to play around a little bit and watch how much free space you have on your SSD drive after installing the applications that you really think ought to be there<font face="Arial">. However, it's a personal call, but I think the logic that I provided you should give you a clue as to what to put on the C drive and what to put on the D drive. Still, it will take a little bit of experimentation to find the optimal configuration.</font></p>