(c) command problem in 2010 Word

when I dictate the parent lower C command (it deployedappropriately in the subject line), I get this:

<p =“msonormal”="" style=“margin-left:.5in”>©<p =“msonormal”="" style=“margin-left:.5in”>when I correct it using the spell menu it still deploys as above. The only way I can get it in the document is to switch to spell mode. I spoke too soon. It still comes up as above using spell mode.<p =“msonormal”="" style=“margin-left:.5in”>Any ideas?<p =“msonormal”="" style=“margin-left:.5in”>Thanks so much,<p =“msonormal”="" style=“margin-left:.5in”>Jim

Trionalaw2013-11-06 12:09:32

Jim,

Do you mean that you are trying to enter ‘©’? If so then saying ‘left parenthesis, type Charlie, right parenthesis’ with brief pauses works for me in Word 2010 on Win7 in Normal Mode of Dragon.

Viv

thanks for getting back to me, Viv,

Your suggestion did not work.

Much appreciated anyway.

Jim,

The problem is caused by Word autocorrecting the text. Click on the file tab, then Options, Proofing. Click the button for Autocorrect Options and you should see the top item in the Autocorrect tab as the offending item which changes © to the copyright symbol. If you delete that entry then the problem is resolved.

If you want to keep a shortcut for entering the copyright symbol then you could try changing the shortcut to (cc), or something similar, although that does not seem to work consistently for me. When I type (cc) then it changes to the copyright sign, but dictating the same symbols does not result in them changing.

However I see that Dragon does have a dictionary entry for inserting the © by saying the text ‘copyright sign’ which inserts the symbol, but without a preceding space.

Viv

Viv,

Thanks for helping out on this. I’ve been tied up with Veterans Day programs in haven’t had a chance to get back to this. Note FYI that VoiceComputer has a number of punctuation commands and that’s what Jim was trying to use. The punctuation command that was causing him a problem in Microsoft Word was “paren lower c”. If you look at the VoiceComputer help by saying “show punctuation commands” you may find some commands that you never seen or considered using and which are very helpful.

Jim,

Viv is right on the money with regard to AutoCorrect in Microsoft Word. With the more current versions of Dragon, dictation automatically invokes AutoCorrect. This didn’t occur until DNS 11.5. Previous versions basically ignored AutoCorrect, current versions now work with it.

As usual, Chucker,

You are the magic man. It works fine now.

Thanks so much.

Jim

Thanks Chuck,

You are right, I did not know about some of these commands and a few of them will be useful. I tried a few which did not work correctly:
‘smart open quote’ inserts a space;
‘curly open quote’ does nothing;
‘smart close quote’ also inserts a space;
‘curly close quote’ does nothing either;
‘numeric comma’ inserts the text ‘numeric,’;
‘numeric colon’ inserts the text ‘numeric;’
‘paren lower/upper x’ is always misinterpreted by Dragon and comes out as garbage - e.g. ‘Per rain up be’, but ‘paren one’ works correctly;
‘open bracket’ results in ‘(’ not ‘[’ so I have to say ‘open square bracket’ to get the correct result.
The other commands which I have tried work fine.
Viv

Viv,

First, we apologize for a couple of mistakes in the “show punctuation commands” Help section. Only the following are VoiceComputer punctuation commands:

The rest are Dragon commands. Also, we have neglected to remove certain commands from the list of Dragon commands which existed in previous versions but have been expunged from the current versions of Dragon (i.e., 10.1 through 12.5.1). Commands like “numeric comma” and “numeric colon” no longer exist in the current Dragon version(s) Vocabulary Editor. These were Dictation Commands. You can create these by simply adding either the comma or colon punctuation marks to the vocabulary editor and then add a spoken forms for these as cited above, as well as changing the properties so that they display appropriately.

Note the following:

‘smart open quote’ inserts a space; – Dragon Dictation Command which inserts a space before the quotation mark and which is normal.

‘curly open quote’ does nothing; – Dragon Dictation Command which doesn’t exist. You have to create it.

‘smart close quote’ also inserts a space; – Dragon Dictation Command, which should insert a space after the quotation mark.

‘curly close quote’ does nothing either; – Dragon Dictation Command which doesn’t exist. You have to create it.

‘numeric comma’ inserts the text ‘numeric,’; – no longer exists in Dragon current versions (10.1 through 12.5.1). If you want it, you have to create it.

‘numeric colon’ inserts the text ‘numeric;’ – no longer exists in Dragon current versions (10.1 through 12.5.1). If you want it, you have to create it.

‘paren lower/upper x’ is always misinterpreted by Dragon and comes out as garbage - e.g. ‘Per rain up be’, but ‘paren one’ works correctly; – this is a recognition problem. Works fine for me on all of my systems from A through Z (Alpha through Zulu).

‘open bracket’ results in ‘(’ not ‘[’ so I have to say ‘open square bracket’ to get the correct result. – Are you using a profile created using either UK accent or UK English? This is typical of the UK English profiles vocabulary.

Note also that we found the bug in DNS 12.5.1 that prevents proper number understanding for the number “2” when making choices using the Multiple text matches. How it occurs is that if you have multiple text matches in a particular document and you use the command “choose #” where #=2, it will select “1”. This is a major bug introduced in 12.5 or 12.5.1. Not sure exactly when it reared its ugly head. However, instead of using the command “choose #” just say the number and it will work correctly.Chucker2013-11-09 19:51:06