Brand-new VC user with some questions and comments

1) I think I'll make relatively light use of voice computer and I don't need all the features even of the lite version, and I suspect voice computer maybe slowing down my dragon and my other addons a little bit or at least causing a few misfires. Is it possible to disable some features/commands of it that I'm not using in order to make it faster and reduce misfires?

2) I would like to edit the names of the commands and/or the commands/features themselves (I know you can make a HeardWord command) e.g change double {number} to dub {number}?
I tried to edit the command files using the editor linked to here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xmltreeeditor/
however, I don't feel like I understand how to do this. For example, I was not able to find the command double {number}. Any thoughts on how I could find that?

3) I would love it if I could have the numbers show up only on certain applications because for example I use the click by voice extension on Google Chrome which I prefer to VC (Because it can open links in new tabs new windows and copy links etc.) and on some other applications the numbers are unnecessary for me just clutter up the screen; on other applications e.g. file Explorer they are very useful to me. I tried using a HeardWord command to turn off the numbers every time I get a Google Chrome but that somehow didn't execute properly. I'd personally pay quite a bit extra for that feature--for the ability to choose which applications the numbers automatically come up.

(Edit: Somehow the voice computer numbers have stopped showing up on Google Chrome links and within Google Chrome only show up in the top menu bars e.g. tabs and extensions; the click by voice numbers still show up only on the links. I have no idea how this happened but it is terrific and now I can use click by voice extension alongside voice computer very comfortably. Ability to set the numbers to come on my application would still be useful to me but this solved at least the Google Chrome issue I hope this lasts.)59

4) I see something about window specific overlays. Would that do what I just mentioned? I don't quite get how to work that feature.

5) I may be interested in doing a quick 30-60 minutes private lesson over team viewer with a voice computer expert. Does the company offer that? how much would it cost?

thank you very much!59
arkali2018-12-10 22:10:30

Is it possible to disable some features/commands of it that I’m not using in order to make it faster >and reduce misfires?

The configuration doesn’t let you disable features - because it’s pretty minimal as is. (The full VoiceComputer lets you disable every single feature.) But, you can delete command files (more on this later).

My biggest concern is one of your reasons: ‘reduce misfires’.

Misfiring is not a known problem with VoiceComputer. In fact, I’ve received dozens of comments about how reliable our commands are.
Maybe the KB number commands are interfering with the VoiceComputer commands…

‘Make it faster’ - I understand that you’re using KB and other add-ons. Running several add-ons at a time really takes a lot of bandwidth. - How much memory does your computer have?

> For example, I was not able to find the command double {number}. Any thoughts on how I
> could find that?

All the active commands are in C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom

displaynumbers.xml is the file that contains the ‘double’ commands.
- We also have the ‘Open #’ command that does the same thing.

Some users configure their computer to single click. Thus, they only need to say the number to click or double-click.

The command files for VoiceComputer Lite
displaynumbers.xml - the Intag commands.
demos.xml - demo commands
positioncmds.xml - positioning commands (Place program right, Place task left…)
vc1.xml - Internal commands. - DON’T delete
showCustomOverlayActive.xml & showcustomoverlay.xml - Our Overlay /My Intag commands
global.xml - global commands and a mix of other commands.

You can edit or delete most of these command files but browse through the files before you delete.

However, if you edit or delete command files, you need to know about our default command files.
The default command files are located in 'C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerhelpVC_FilesCustom_files’

These are our complete set of command files for the application.

IMPORTANT: whenever you “Configure VoiceComputer” and make a change, the files in the active directory (C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom) MAY BE OVERWRITTEN by the files in the ‘C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerhelpVC_FilesCustom_files’ directory.
There are many reasons for this. The solution:
If you edit a file. Copy the edited file over the file in
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom and the file in ‘C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerhelpVC_FilesCustom_files’

If you want to delete a file, don’t. Rather delete almost all the contents of the file so you have a ‘blank’ file. Copy the ‘blank’ file over the files in the two directories. (If you’re interested, I can post the contents of ‘blank’ commands file.)

This isn’t especially easy! - When we programmed the Intags some 7 years ago, we had planned to incorporate a command editor but only a couple of people have requested this. And, if you read the Dragon EULA, it explicitly forbids an end-user from using a program that has a command language.

> I would love it if I could have the numbers show up only on certain applications

Disable or uninstall the Chrome extension. Chrome will no longer be Intagged.

And, you can say, ‘Close Intags’ to hide the Intags whenever you wish.

I’d have to look at our code to see if it’s possible to keep the Intags off. - Our first release, 7 years ago, let you do this, but users wanted the Intags to always be displayed.
- Our goal has always been the opposite - a global speech interface. And, we have a lot of users who have achieved this.

> I see something about window specific overlays.

Don’t think this is what you’re looking for.

Our Overlay feature lets you make any previously inaccessible Window or (most previously inaccessible) applications accessible.

The Overlays lets you create a blank overlay for an application or a Window within an application. The feature lets you create ‘clickable points’ (custom Intags/numbers) anyplace on the screen. That is, you can make any control, menu or another point clickable and accessible. Once you do this, you can call up the Overlay to control an application or Window.

> interested in doing a quick 30-60 minutes private lesson over team viewer with a voice computer expert

We’re $150-$200/hour but would charge you $100. for the first hour.
(We’re in the SF Bay Area so our training prices are high since the cost of living is astronomical.)

Regards,

Thank you for your detailed reply this will take me a bit to go through.57