Backing up My Intag overlays

Is there a way to specifically export all the overlays (including the numbers) I have created for all of my programs ?

Rob,

First, keep in mind that when you create a custom overlay for an application, my Intags stores all the information relative to the:

1. Application ID/name
2. Size and screen location of the application window when your custom overlay was created.
3. Each overlay is numbered (i.e., overlay 1, overlay 2, etc.)
4. If you create a sequential set of overlays, you can automatically switch to any overlay using the “Continue #” command. This command requires that you go to the application window spawned by dictating number of the screen that you want to go to and then create a new overlay in that screen. From that point forward if you say “Continue 4” My Intags will take you to that screen associated with that number and automatically open the overlay for that next screen. Sometimes this seems complicated, but with a little planning is fairly intuitive and simple.

Notes:

#1 Since overlays are application-specific, if you create overlays in, say, Internet Explorer, all the overlays that you create in Internet Explorer will refer to Internet Explorer, even though they may be different Internet Explorer windows.

#2 Once you create a set of overlays for specific application, the size and location of those windows is fixed. This has an advantage in that, if you plan carefully, it will automatically size and position those windows where you want them. However, once a set of overlays is created, you cannot change the size and location without completely re-creating that set of overlays, resizing your screen before you do so. we may be able to revise and control this better in the future, but, for the time being, this is the way it works and the reason for this is to avoid the fact that number positions are relative vs. absolute.

#3 We considered allowing users to give names to their overlay(s), but decided against that because it can make calling overlays unreliable. Besides, it’s easier to say a number that it is to say a name. Regardless, if you keep notes on your overlays, My Intags, you can switch to any overlay at any time by simply saying “show overlay #”. This gives you a lot of flexibility for moving back and forth between overlays because each overlay is designed and assigned for a specific application window. Even in my overlays, when I make a mistake, I can always switch back to the appropriate overlay by simply saying it’s number.

Now, to answer your question, your custom overlays are saved in the following location and file:

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCustomOverlays.xml

You can perform a simple backup by simply copying that file from that location to an external drive, a secondary drive, or USB thumb drive. You only have to remember where it came from so that if you need to put it back, you know what the proper location is.

VoiceComputer is designed to automatically save your VoiceComputer configurations by creating a backup (i.e., voicecomputer.bk#, where #= 1, 2, 3, etc.) each time you install a new version. This includes any custom setups, VoiceShortcuts, and custom overlays (My Intags). In the “Configure VoiceComputer” dialog 1st screen #9 | 2nd screen #'s 7 & 8, you can backup your configuration files, which includes your overlays, and restore them if and when necessary or if you want to go back to a previous set of VoiceComputer configuration files. Also, #7 allows you to import them from the backup VoiceComputer folder as noted above whenever you install a new version of VoiceComputer. The only thing you have to make sure of is that if you have multiple backups, you need to select the most recent. After doing this, you simply have to wait for the configuration complete dialog, which takes a few seconds. Doing it this way is a little bit more complex because you have to search for them. Therefore, you may want to try the first approach if your only concern is for your overlays. This may be the best approach if you have created a lot of overlays.

Lot of information here, but I hope it’s helpful.

Thanks Chuck, this is really helpful! Thanks for taking the time.

I’m glad I’m able to back up those custom overlays I have created, would be far too much work to do it all over again.
I haven’t experienced with a second overlay per application, but I will do that soon.
I use the Band in a Box program for composing music. It has several windows, one being the Style Picker, for which I’ve already created an overlay. But it also has the main Lead Sheet for entering chords. I will make a second overlay for that. That way I can simply enter chords by voice.
I already noticed that the resizing of the program window is automatically adjusted with the previously created overlay. I think that’s a good thing, because now whenever I open a program (I’ve created a dragon command that will automatically open the overlay for that program) it automatically has the size I want.

The overlay feature in VC is really very innovative and extremely useful. One of the best inventions in the ‘speech world’ I think.

I have one tip for future versions:
I’m spending a lot of time behind my computer, and that takes its toll on my eyes, mainly due to the amount of bluelight in flat screens. Which I heavily reduced by using the program Flux. It filters out most of the bluelight. However I noticed that the overlays have sort of a bluish tint. Is it possible to adjust that color in future versions to something like light orange? Or maybe make the overlay completely transparent? So that you would only see the numbers. Or maybe offer a choice in colors?
Just an idea.

Thanks,
Rob

The overlay feature in VC is really very innovative and extremely useful.

>One of the best inventions in the ‘speech world’ I think.

Thanks! That was my reaction when our programmer Evan first showed it to me. We’ve been able to make so many programs accessible with this invention.

I’ll speak to Evan about letting end-users adjust the colors of the background.