Back to Windows 7

Apparently,while my software programs including Amicus Attorney and Timeslips ran on the Windows 8 Promo download, they won’t on Windows 8 Professional. Seems strange.
Nevertheless, I’m going back to Windows 7 professional at this time until I can figure out the problems.
Regards,
Jim< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">Because of some of my software programs including Amicus Attorney and Timeslips, which are not compatible with Windows 8 Professional, I’m going back to Windows 7 Professional.< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">
< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">Kind of strange because they did run with the Windows 8 promotional program.< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">
< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">Oh well,< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">
< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“43”>

Jim,

The problem with Windows 8 Professional is that not everybody has updated their signature with regard to Windows version checking. In the past we’ve been lucky with Dragon relative to new versions of Windows because those versions were out and on the market before the new releases were actually released. The last time that this happened was when windows XP was released before DNS 5.0. That required an update from a lot of application software including Dragon, which had to go from 5.0 to 5.5 in order to be 100% windows XP compliant/compatible. This is not unusual when a version of Windows is released at a point in time where no one’s had an opportunity to actually fix their windows checking in their software installations. I’m not surprised because we are now in the same boat with Windows 8. It’s going to take time before everyone gets with the program. I am not in the least bit surprised that some applications that ran fine under Windows 7 don’t run fine under Windows 8. However, it is a version checking problem. If applications don’t see a version of windows that they support, then they won’t install and/or won’t run properly. It’s just a matter of everybody getting their installers to recognize windows 8 as a valid version of Windows.

<p =“Msonormal”>As they say, timing is everything.<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">So long as I have Dragon 12 and VoiceComputer working
everything else I can wait on.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p>

<span style="font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;line-height:115%;  font-family:"Georgia","serif";mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:  minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;  mso-ansi-:EN-US;mso-fareast-:EN-US;mso-bidi-:AR-SA">Jim</span>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">< name="tabId" value="80"></span>

Jim,

Experimenting with Windows 8 I also found another issue that is pure DNS 12. That is, DNS 12 does not support IE 10. At least not fully. Some things work by using the commands from IE 9 in the Command Browser, but some don't, particularly Active Accessibility (i.e., saying “Reopen last browsing session” and a few others don't work. Also, some custom commands can cause Windows 8 to crash. By custom commands I mean Advanced Scripting commands.

So, the bottom line is that DNS 12 does not fully support Windows 8 yet and there are some issues that can bring Windows 8 to its knees independent of and irrespective of VoiceComputer. The problems that I found I found without using VoiceComputer at all.