Advice on Show My Favorites needed

I have added a tag to a folder containing 70 jpg files and can see all of the files when I say ‘List 14’, but cannot work out how to open one of the files. ‘Display tag 2’ is interpreted as ‘Display tag to’, or ‘Display text to’. ‘Open tag 2’ and ‘Click tag 2’ do not work either, with Dragon asking me to say that again. ‘Show List Help’ used to work, but gave me no clues as to what I need to do, and now does not even open. The only way I have been able to open the file I want to work on is to use the mouse.

Viv

Viv,

“open tag 2” and/or “click tag 2” are not valid VoiceComputer commands.

Although you can tag a folder so that it shows up in your “my favorites”, the “show my favorites” simply shows that you created a tag for your folder. The “display tag” command only works if you bookmark and save the tag by virtue of having given it a name (command name) in the tag wizard.

For example, I have a folder where I keep your Dragon logs which is labeled “Viv”. If I simply tag it without using the bookmark and save command in the tag wizard, then it simply listed in “My Favorites” as of folder and I open it by saying “list #”, where # is the number assigned to that folder. In that case, or you can do is to use the commands that are listed at the bottom of the “show My Favorites” list.

If you want to tag a particular file or a folder such that you can open it with the “display tag” command, then you have to bookmark it. In this case you go to the location of that folder and you say “tag #” where # is the number assigned to that folder. You will get the tag wizard as shown below:

Once you give it a name then you can say “display tag Viv” as shown in this example and it will open up that folder with all of your JPEG files listed. However, it’s better to tag a file vs. a folder so that you can open that file by simply saying "display tag ". You can also position it anywhere that you want using the positioning commands (i.e., right | left | upper right | lower right | upper left | lower left | top | bottom | center etc.). In other words, I could say in this case “display tag Viv right”.

If you need any additional help, just let me know.

Thanks Chuck,

I knew it must be me. I will go back to using xplorer2 and selecting using Display Numbers, although I am getting some problems with that. It is fine for numbers less than 100, but for 103 it doesn’t matter if I say ‘click one hundred and three’, ‘click one hundred three’, ‘click hundred and three’, or ‘click hundred three’ I either get something like ‘one hundred at three’ in the results box or a bell sound and nothing in the results box. Sometimes it decides to move to another open application. I am not sure if it is this profile, but I will try checking with another profile.
Viv

PS I have tried a new profile which has not been used before with the same results.

k00651262013-04-19 11:56:56

Viv,

Have you tried saying “click one oh three”. Every user is different. Therefore every user profile is different in terms of what it will recognize and what it won’t. You are most likely to get a proper response relative to numbers by saying the digits vs. saying “click one hundred and three”.

Chuck,

Thanks, ‘click one oh three’ did work, but when I tried ‘click one three oh’ nothing happened, and ‘click one two eight’ did nothing either. There was no sound and no results box appeared.

The best I can achieve is to click one of the low numbers and then say 'down ’ until I get to the one I want, if I have not guessed how far to go down at the first attempt.

Viv

Viv,

Forget "click". It's not a VoiceComputer command. "Click" is a Dragon command and it doesn't work in VoiceComputer.

If you want to see the commands that are available in all list dialogs, then say "show list help". Otherwise, the only commands that are available in any of the VP list dialogs are those listed at the bottom.

Regardless, if you are using the proper commands and you're still not getting the correct results, then the problem is one of misrecognition, not the failure of VoiceComputer commands. All legitimate and valid VoiceComputer commands are virtually 100% reliable. If you're not getting the correct result, then you're not using the correct command(s).

VoiceComputer doesn't leave you hanging without demonstrations of features, lessons, or help on particular commands. Make use of the VoiceComputer help features. For example Say "show demonstrations" or "show VoiceComputer demonstrations. In the VoiceComputer demos under "Files and folders" you will find all of the demos that relate to the problems that you're having, as well as how to properly use these features.

Chucker2013-04-20 06:00:21

Chuck,

I have just watched the Display Numbers demo. The instructions given were ‘drill down 35’, ‘drill down 5’, ‘click 98’, which is contrary to what you have suggested. In fact, 'click ’ does seem to work faultlessly if the number is less than 100.

At the start of the text from the Display Numbers Exercise, (display_numbers1.pdf), it says :-

Display Numbers Exercise
The “Display Numbers” command numbers every menus, link, etc. on an active application (or the desktop) in order to make the objects accessible with speech commands. This is the first release of this feature and we are continuing to work on this command.
The “Display Numbers” command displays a blinking display of numbers. Say:
Display Numbers
A blinking list of numbers will be displayed.
Note that it’ll take some practice to figure out which tag goes with which object because the numbers display itself will displace the list so that the numbers won’t always be closely aligned with the objects that are being numbered.
To click one of the objects on the screen say:
Click 12
(where 12 is the number of object you wish to access)

I believe that this text was created when Display Numbers was very new and may have been superseded, but, if so, I have been unable to find any updated information. The excellent ‘Super Numbers’ command requires me to number each item I wish to click, which is not of use if the number of items in a directory changes, or is very large.

Viv

We’ve have continued to work on Show Numbers. We’ll have a beta within a few days and will clarify the commands. It will take a few extra days to revise our demonstrations.

Super Numbers is made to make any program accessible. It lets you create click points at any location on the screen. I’ve made several previously inaccessible programs completely and productively accessible. We need to document and demonstrate its uses and unique capabilities.

Viv,

I apologize if you misunderstood me. That’s my mistake. However, I assumed that we were on topic which is about show my favorites or show my documents etc. In that context, click is not a valid command. Of course it’s valid in Display Numbers and Super Numbers. But that’s not what we were talking about.

Sorry Chuck,

I started off talking about Show My Favourites and then changed to Display Numbers, which is where the confusion arose. It would have been better to start a new topic.

Viv

Viv,

No need to apologize. One of the difficulties with speech recognition is that it's more difficult to communicate in writing than it is to talk to somebody face-to-face or over the phone. I was just concentrating on one feature in which the "click" commands are not applicable.

Nevertheless, if you review the demos that I referred to, and take a look at the commands available for each feature, it gives you a very good idea of how to use each effectively.