A daily 1:54 imperative

I just ran the VoiceComputer demo shortcut after installing version 12.25. I’m assuming it is part of the new version because I didn’t run it in the past couple of weeks. No matter.

I’m going to play it every morning when I log onto my computer. For two reasons. First, I am not so fast on the uptake and therefore need to have things repeated to me over and over. Second, it just gives me pause about how incredible VoiceComputer is.

As usual, kudos to Ron and Chucker.

And I will view it every morning. I do not believe it violates Emerson’s quote from I believe Self Reliance: “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.” I am not going to take the time to Google it because I know Chucker will know immediately.

Happy holidays,

Jim

I don’t have the latest version 12.25. But, I have to second your motion. Voice computer is quietly the most productive program I have ever had on my computer. I am so grateful that I found it last year.

That demo is indeed remarkable in effectively showing the power of the VoiceComputer program in under two minutes. But here is my problem. While I’ve been a LONG time user of DNS (since maybe version 3), VC is like an apple that is far too big to fit any portion between my jaws. So I really can’t get a good byte on it! I know there are so many demos in detail of commands and features and help for each one. But I just don’t know quite where to begin to get the most value from VC of my time invested in learning - above and beyond the innate power of DNS alone that I do know and use.

Perhaps there is some form of tutorial that starts me with an overview of a feature shown in the demo - like the file linkage and referring to them by number to open/close/move etc. - that is longer than this fascinating glimpse but not so detailed that I get lost and can’t see the forest for the trees. Then it might link me into the forest and introduce me to these incredible trees (like the California redwoods in a recent Nat Geo magazine) one at a time so that I can explore each one and learn their capabilities and how to make them work for me. Then I can put together the trees and use the forest effectively.

Perhaps what I’m seeking is already in VC but I just can’t seem to find it. So I sure would appreciate some guidance from Ron, Chuck and others.

Thanks in advance for helping me learn VC and make if for me the tool it has been designed to be.

< style=":;:1000" =“application/x-dgnria” id=“plugin0” height=“0” width=“0”>< value=“ff-tab-0” name=“tabId”>< value=“1767” name=“counter”>

That demo is indeed remarkable in effectively showing the power of the VoiceComputer program in under two minutes. But here is my problem. While I’ve been a LONG time user of DNS (since maybe version 3), VC is like an apple that is far too big to fit any portion between my jaws.

txlaw,

If you want to send me a private message with your name, I will give you credit for the analogy and 3). I intend to use it wherever I can. It is exceptional.

I too agree that VC is rather daunting. That is why I try to spend a little time each day looking at new things. Unlike Einstein’s brain, (or maybe it was the folds in his brain), I am probably using less than 2% of it.

I approach it like I did some attractive young women in college: they may have been above my pay grade, but I still was going to prove otherwise.

Happy holidays,

Jim

“I too agree that VC is rather daunting.”</p><p>I would say that VC is complete.  It is complete because over the years we have trained thousands of users in speech recognition. Necessity created VoiceComputer. Each and every invention and feature that was added to VC was designed to help our users be productive on the job. The necessity was that our users could not be productive, and in many cases even keep their jobs with Dragon alone, because Dragon is not nearly productive enough.</p><p>VoiceComputer’s first feature was an invention that lets users interactively learn Dragon NaturallySpeaking as they work – learn by doing - because our users were having a devil of a time learning Dragon. </p><p>Assuming that you’re using VoiceComputer v 12.25, and wish to use or learn how to use a VC feature, just follow these steps:<br>1) Say, “Show Main Menu.” This lists the features of VC.<br>2) Say the name of the feature you wish to use.<br> For example, if you want an easy way to navigate through your folders to find and open files:<br>3) Say, “Show File Guide”<br>4) If you wish to learn the feature, say: “Show Files Exercise”<br>The exercise starts with a demonstration and then teaches you how to use the feature with interactive practice.<br>5) Once you know how to use a feature, you can view the full set of commands for the feature. For file / folder commands, say “View Folder Commands.”</p><p>You can follow this same routine for every almost feature of VoiceComputer.</p><p>You don’t need to learn every feature of VoiceComputer, you just need to learn the features that you need!</p><p>Please help us understand how we can make VC easier to learn!</p>
<edited><editID>RonK</editID><editDate>2012-12-04 15:04:39</editDate></edited>

Thanks so much, Ron,

had VoiceComputer come out several years ago, I wouldn’t have worn so badly. Hopefully I can attach a picture that explains this.

I’m going to start my day using your suggestion. Better than what I was doing.

Happy holidays,

Jim

Oops, looks like I can’t attach a picture.

Jim, please feel free to adopt and use my analogy without regard to any credit to me. Glad I could contribute in a small way to this forum.

Further, you’ve no doubt heard in the practice of law that plagairism (as in pleadings, briefs, contracts, etc.) is the highest form of flattery!! LOL

txlaw

<div nuan_tabactive="true" id="nuan_ria_plugin">< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-0" name="tabId">< value="24" name="counter"></div>

Ron,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about VC. I concur that it IS complete. And that’s great! And appreciated and will be even more appreciated when I learn better how to use it.

I appreciate your suggestions for learning VC - one byte at a time. I’ve printed these steps and will post it on my cubicle and try to take time periodically - I’d love to say “everyday” - to work through this learning process. I’m sure this will benefit me in using VC.

Please understand that my earlier post was not complaining or in any way being derogatory of this amazing software developed in response to a lot of folks genuine needs. In fact, I’ve recommended it to on person who is becoming more handicapped by MS with the hope he will add it to DNS to enhance his life with more “ability”. So keep up the good work.

TXLAW

<div nuan_tabactive="true" id="nuan_ria_plugin">< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-0" name="tabId">< value="39" name="counter"></div>
<div> </div><div>No problem. I was just stating that we've made it as best as we can. We need your help to make it better!</div><div> </div><div>Cheers,</div><div> </div>