A couple of problems with voice computer

I’m having a couple of Voice Computer problems with Microsoft Word, Google Chrome, and the VC microphone.

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">1. When Microsoft Word 2016 opens, it’s “homepage” shows a
bunch of templates and a list of documents that have recently been worked on.
Intags rarely show up in all the areas that are clickable. However, I have found
that if I open another window of Microsoft Word, the homepage is adequately populated
with Intags. I have the Dragon extension loaded up for Microsoft Word, so I don’t
think that’s the issue.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">2. A similar issue happens with Google Chrome. (I have
loaded the new Google Chrome extension for Voice Computer.) On the first few
tabs, Intags will be in most of the places I need them. Then I will open up a
new tab, and there will be no Intags. I will say “show numbers” and “toggle,”
and nothing will happen. Eventually, if I move around a bit between my tabs and
do some work in other areas, when I come back to the open tab where no Intags
existed before, the Intags sometimes show up.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">3. In addition to this, in almost every case there are
typically no Intags at the top of the Google Chrome window: at the “back”
button, the refresh button, the URL bar, the tabs.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">4. Also, recently my microphone has been shutting off
unexpectedly. It happens about once every two or three minutes. I have found
that this doesn’t happen if I turn off the VC microphone. The VC microphone itself
is set to restart every 24 hours.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">5. When I use the Voice Computer Control Center to shut down
my computer with my voice, it merely shuts down Voice Computer and Dragon then
restarts them.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">6. There is also a slight slowing of my dictation speed and
the speed with which Dragon follows commands when voice computer is on. Is this
typical?<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Any thoughts?<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Lenovo Ideapad Y700 Touchscreen Laptop – Intel Core i7-6700HQ
Processor 2.6 GHz – 16 GB DDR 4 RAM – 1 TB Hard Drive +128 GB SSD – Windows 10
Home 64-bit – Dragon Professional Individual 15 – VoiceComputer   – Audio Technica Pro 8HE<o:p></o:p></p>

1. That works, thanks. However, it does select what’s behind the number, so I have to close whatever I just selected in order to get back to the homepage.

2. I notice now that this problem happens whenever I’m on a Google search results page. I have four tabs open – the first three work just fine. The fourth tab is a Google search result page. No matter what I say, no intags show up.

3. Thanks.

4. I will further explore configuring the microphone.

5. I was able to do it correctly, thanks.

6. Maybe it’s my imagination. I will keep observing. I don’t have anything else running, but I was considering buying KnowBrainer. Will that slow things down?

1. That works, thanks. However, it does select what’s behind the number,

> so I have to close whatever I just selected in order to get back to the homepage.

Sorry, I don’t understand what’s happening. Try this a few more times and confirm that you’re choosing the number you need. If it’s still not working the way you need it to, upload a couple of screenshots so we can see what’s happening.

>but I was considering buying KnowBrainer. Will that slow things down?

Yes, I think so! Why do think you need KnowBrainer?

Do you have any thoughts about #2?

I was thinking of getting KnowBrainer because I’d like to be able to dictate into any window. Dragon 15 seems to have a lot of trouble dictating into forms and nonstandard windows. I was using Dragon 11 and 12 before this, and I understand things changed with 13.

Can you be more clear in terms of what you mean? What you mean by "homepage"?

[QUOTE] 2. I notice now that this problem happens whenever I'm on a Google search results page. I have four tabs open – the first three work just fine. The fourth tab is a Google search result page. No matter what I say, no intags show up. [/QUOTE]

Before you go spinning your wheels, look in the upper right can corner (i.e., below the tabs). You should see an icon that may be difficult to read but it is simply a square box with IN in it. If the Tab that is currently being displayed is supported by our Chrome extension, that tag will be colored "green". If that particular Tab happens to be one that is not supported by our Chrome extension, it will be colored "red".

Not all URLs (webpages) and/or settings pages in Google Chrome are capable of being supported by our Chrome extension. For example, go to the Chrome Extensions and you will notice that the Chrome extension icon is red. While it might be possible for us to enable the Chrome InTags in some webpages, we have supported as much as we can at present. At some point we will probably update the Chrome extension (InTags) and put it in the Chrome store, but at present it is offered as is out-of-the-box.

My advice to all users of VoiceComputer is to understand a few things:

1. Get used to using "InTag window" to refresh the numbers or call them up if they're not displayed in a particular window in Google Chrome, keeping in mind that the Chrome icon must be "green" in order for them to work.

2. Any VoiceComputer user who intends to use other third-party add-ins, such as KnowBrainer 2017, should always launch VoiceComputer first followed by KnowBrainer. Otherwise, you can run into issues and/or conflicts.

3. In DPI 15, Nuance has modified the "links" command(s). If Dragon's "click links" command does not work in Google Chrome, neither will our Chrome extension. Regardless, our InTags commands in Google Chrome are automatically refreshed and stay open. Dragon's links command(s) close as soon as you choose a number. So, for example, if you are wanting to populate checkboxes and/or radio buttons using Dragon's "link" command you have to continually reopen, whereas this is not necessary with our Chrome extension.

[QUOTE] 6. Maybe it's my imagination. I will keep observing. I don't have anything else running, but I was considering buying KnowBrainer. Will that slow things down? [/QUOTE]

First, with your computer configuration, you should experience, as Ron points out, no slowdown in dictation or even the execution of commands. I run VoiceComputer with DPI 15 on my Lenovo Multitouch Twist, which is an Ivy Bridge Coreâ„¢ i7 3517U with 8 GB of RAM, Windows 10 Pro, and which only runs at 2 GHz. I have absolutely no slowdown in dictation whatsoever even if I load KnowBrainer for testing purposes.

Second, KnowBrainer is only using the built-in variable, which is incorporated in DPI 14 and DPI 15. The caveat is that it might seem to be a nice feature in nonstandard Windows, but you can only dictate as much as you can say in a single breath. After you use the command one time, you have to continually invoke it in order to continue dictating. It is neither practical nor productive to use that feature except where you only intend to dictate a sentence or two. Regardless, you can create that command on your own using Advanced Scripting. It's only about four lines long and it would save you the expense of buying KnowBrainer if that's all you were going to use it for. Be careful of assumptions about what KnowBrainer can and can't do. All KnowBrainer is is in Advanced Scripting language using the most current WinRap basic. Even though Dragon uses the old Sax 7 compiler, which is slower than KnowBrainer's version, these commands that you're looking at are simple four liners that created in Dragon's Advanced Scripting run just as fast as they do in KnowBrainer because they are simple. There is a lot of hype, particularly from Lunis, about the advantages of KnowBrainer. Don't pay for what you don't need.

Even advanced users greatly benefit from the simplicity and ease-of-use of VoiceComputer's global speech interface. But, advanced users can use KnowBrainer to complement VoiceComputer.
Chucker2016-11-26 14:13:26

By homepage I mean the first screen that opens up when you
open Microsoft Word. In previous versions, Microsoft Word used to open up to a
blank document, now it opens up to a screen that shows you a bunch of templates
and lists recent documents on the left-hand side.<p =“Msonormal”><o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">The green icon is present when I’m having trouble populating
the tab with intags. Whether I say “intag window” or anything else, nothing
comes up in the tab. Also, Dragon’s “click link” feature is working in that
tab.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Chuck – can you say more about the <dictation > function
you’re talking about? What I’m having trouble doing is putting text in
nonstandard windows. Two things happen:<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Dragon won’t place any text in the window – this is happened
in a few forms I’ve tried to fill out.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Dragon will enter text, but the form won’t recognize it as
text. This has happened in Google calendar – I create a name for an entry, and
it disappears when I save the name. If I free text with my hands, the problem
doesn’t happen. If I use dictation box, the problem doesn’t happen.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">I’m trying to solve these two problems – they didn’t happen
in my previous versions of Dragon.<o:p></o:p></p>

<span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;mso-ascii-theme-font:  minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;  mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";  mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;mso-ansi-:EN-US;mso-fareast-:  EN-US;mso-bidi-:AR-SA">Matt</span>

[QUOTE=Matt] By homepage I mean the first screen that opens up when you open Microsoft Word. In previous versions, Microsoft Word used to open up to a blank document, now it opens up to a screen that shows you a bunch of templates and lists recent documents on the left-hand side. [/QUOTE]

You've been using Microsoft Outlook (Microsoft Word) 2010 or below previously. Beginning with Microsoft Office 2013 and extending through Microsoft Office 2016, what you see when you open Microsoft Word is the way Word works now. Regardless, InTags should number everything in that screen, including your list of recent documents.

If it doesn't, simply say either "refresh numbers" or "InTag window". The numbers should display properly. Since the thumbnail templates are fairly large in the opening screen, the numbers will appear in the upper right-hand corner relative to the size of the thumbnail. I use Microsoft Office 365 (2016) and InTags works properly in that opening screen.

[QUOTE] The green icon is present when I’m having trouble populating the tab with intags. Whether I say “intag window” or anything else, nothing comes up in the tab. Also, Dragon’s “click link” feature is working in that tab. [/QUOTE]

You will have to give me a couple of links (URL's) to those tabs that you are using in ordered for me to assess the issue relative to VoiceComputer's Chrome extension.

Just copy and paste what's in the address bar for those tabs and either post them here, or send me an email to chuck@voiceteach.com with those links pasted in.

[QUOTE] Chuck – can you say more about the function you’re talking about? What I’m having trouble doing is putting text in nonstandard windows. Two things happen: [/QUOTE]

Beginning with DPI 14, Nuance added and "anything" variable as part of the list variables in Advanced Scripting. Properly set up, this allows you to create an Advanced Script for anything that you say after a command. For example, if you create a command like "insert " properly set up, you can say things like "insert my dog has fleas" and you will get, depending upon where you insert it, just the phrase "my dog has fleas".

Pros:

1. You can dictate using this command into any nonstandard text window.

2. It is most useful if you want to dictate into a nonstandard (non-Full Text Control (Select-and-Say) enabled) text box or text window when you only want to dictate a simple phrase.

Con:

You are limited to the amount of text you can dictate without pausing. It is useful for dictating short phrases, but you can't dictate an entire document without consistently executing the command. Therefore, it's not practical for dictating large amounts of text because the text is transferred as soon as you pause.

If this is all you want to do, we can provide you with the script which you can import into your Command Browser (Advanced Scripting). While we could incorporate this into VoiceComputer, it's not either necessary or practical to do so. Also, purchasing KnowBrainer 2017, which contains thousands of preconfigured Advanced Scripting commands unless you would want to use more than this command. As I indicated previously, KnowBrainer 2017 is an Advanced Scripting language, which is faster than Dragon's Advanced Scripting and more comprehensive, but the question is how practical is that for you.

[QUOTE] Dragon won’t place any text in the window – this is happened in a few forms I’ve tried to fill out. [/QUOTE]

What forms? I have to see it for myself in order to assess the issue. As in the problems with tabs per your question above, please send me the links to these forms.

[QUOTE] Dragon will enter text, but the form won’t recognize it as text. This has happened in Google calendar – I create a name for an entry, and it disappears when I save the name. If I free text with my hands, the problem doesn’t happen. If I use dictation box, the problem doesn’t happen. [/QUOTE]

I'll take a look at Google calendar. However, as I previously pointed out not everything in Google Chrome is Full Text Control (Select-and-Say) enabled. It depends upon the Rich text edit controls that Google is using. If they're not SAPI compliant, which is what Dragon uses to determine whether or not particular application or window is Full Text Control (Select-and-Say) enabled, then you may or may not be able to dictate directly into those application windows or text boxes. This particular problem began with DNS 13 and continues up to and including DPI 15.

[QUOTE] I’m trying to solve these two problems – they didn’t happen in my previous versions of Dragon. [/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then your previous version of Dragon was either DNS 12 or below. A lot has changed since. These changes began with DNS 13. Nonetheless, in nonstandard windows or text boxes it is sometimes possible to dictate, but you will never have the ability to select and correct simply because Dragon cannot see the text being displayed in (i.e., this is the function of SAPI supported Rich text edit controls, which are missing in these applications).