The Voice Computer Forum visit our website at www.voicecomputer.com

Forum Home Forum Home > Speech Recognition > VoiceComputer
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Google Chrome has become surveillance software.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.
    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 2:28pm
I recommend that you read this article in the Washington Post:

Google Chrome has become surveillance software. It’s time to switch.

We created our Chrome extension in order to make a customizable tool that would let us make previously inaccessible websites and intranet sites accessible, not to be part of a surveillance society.

The article mentions several steps you can take to minimize the auto-surveillance features of Chrome.
Please feel free to suggest other steps that users can take to maximize their privacy.

Microsoft is testing a new version of Edge that uses the Chrome engine. We plan to customize our Chrome extension to work with Edge, so we'll also make a list of things you can do to maximize your privacy when you use the new Chromium Edge.

Or, you can switch to Firefox. VoiceComputer's Intags tend to double number in Firefox because our Intags number all accessible controls in Firefox and websites often have duplicate controls.
We'll be working on our Firefox interface in the coming weeks to minimize this problem.

Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
RobQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 3:13pm
Thanks for your timely response to this article. I, too, read this article earlier today and had wondered how this would impact my use of VC on FFox.

rob-
Speech1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speech1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 4:36am
Thanks Ron that's good to know!

I have yet another serious problem lately with both Chrome and Edge Dev.  At first I thought I was invaded by bitcoin miners but it turned out to be the Chrome Software Reporter tool which has a tendency to hang. Today it took up 100% (!) of my CPU.
It's a real pain having to kill it with task manager every time (I'll make a little tool for it if the problem persists). Anyway, if others have the same problem here's some more info on (removing) it:

http://www.speechproductivity.eu
The Fastest Dictation Boxes for Dragon and more
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic