The Voice Computer Forum visit our website at www.voicecomputer.com

Forum Home Forum Home > Speech Recognition > VoiceComputer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Investigate why Voicecomputer keeps crashing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetrad9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Investigate why Voicecomputer keeps crashing
    Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 2:49am

I’m using Voicecomputer Version 2019 1.31 with Windows 10 home edition and use 2 monitors. After about 30 minutes of using Voicecomputer, I realised that the Voicecomputer commands are no longer working.

Basically Voicecomputer has crashed, there is no error screen or message. VC simply stops working and disappears from my taskbar. I’ve tried eliminating programs one by one that I use at the same time with Voicecomputer but without an error message or something, it’s hard to narrow this down.

Any suggestions to help?

Many thanks

Soti
Speech1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speech1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:48pm
Ron will probably ask you for the VC log file which can be found here: C:\ProgramData\VoiceTeach\VoiceComputer\VoiceComputer Log.txt 
But you can save him some time by immediately opening this file (plain text, should open with notepad) as soon as you notice that VC crashes or sneaks out. You should check out the most recent entries at the bottom of the file (it may take a while to open depending on its size).

There are several reasons why both VC or Dragon can suddenly stop working but in most cases it's caused by just one application/process. When it comes to VC it usually happens upon reloading the intags (not so much with My Intags/overlays because they don't need to rescan the current application). Visual Studio, for instance is notorious to crash both VC and Dragon (not always, just some projects). Video editors like MoviePlus can be a pain as well, so can the Chrome web extension (but that's usually only crashing Dragon, not VC).

In addition, type msconfig in Windows search to find out which processes start automatically with Windows (some have a delayed start). Some application updates or malware scans can be the culprit as well. 

When VC has crashed it's best to restart Dragon as well. If you restart VC only the intags won't be operational right away (usually takes a couple of minutes). To overcome this problem you may want to check out SP which has a very quick Dragon and VC Restart utility.

Edited by Speech1965 - 27 Apr 2019 at 6:54pm
http://www.speechproductivity.eu
The Fastest Dictation Boxes for Dragon and more
thetrad9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetrad9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:33pm
Thanks Speech, 
Will try your suggestions !

RonK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 9:07am
We know that some users never have crashing and others do. 

This week I'm working with a programmer to try to figure out what's going on and fix it.

If we can duplicate the crashing, we can fix it.

Visual Studio, for instance is notorious to crash both VC and Dragon (not always, just some projects)

I never have crashing in Visual Studio. Could send me the code that causes the crashing?

If anyone else can send me a sequence of commands that consistently crash VC, please do so!

And, email me the  C:\ProgramData\VoiceTeach\VoiceComputer\VoiceComputer Log.txt 
file 

Edited by RonK - 28 Apr 2019 at 11:08am
Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic