The Voice Computer Forum visit our website at www.voicecomputer.com

Forum Home Forum Home > Speech Recognition > VoiceComputer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I upgrade and keep previous settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetrad9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I upgrade and keep previous settings
    Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:50am

Hello Ron,

I like the latest update, you guys keep up the good work!  

What is the best way to install the latest update (VoiceComputer 2019, version 1.25), whilst keeping your previous Voicecomputer configuration settings i.e. overlays, monitor settings etc.

I work with 2 monitors and previously, after installing the latest update,  I used to copy my backup of my previous versions Voicecomputer (C:\ProgramData\VoiceTeach\VoiceComputer) folder onto the NEW Voicecomputer folder.  This used to work for Overlays settings, but not for 2 * monitor setup. 

But now, when I do that, I successfully have my old Overlays but no longer have the latest improvements from VoiceComputer version 1.25 e.g

This release improves the Task #,  Task # <left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> commands and the place Window <left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> commands, bringing you the fastest control of the Windows Desktop ever.

The release also improves how our Voice Mouse commands and our screen grid work with our Intag….

P.S Also, when you use the 'Place window on <1/2>' command, VC no longer does an auto 'maximise' command after.  Pls bring this back as current Overlays are out of sync as a result.    

Thanks 

Edited by thetrad9 - 06 Feb 2019 at 4:05am
RonK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:24am
>But now, when I do that, I successfully have my old Overlays but no longer have the latest improvements from

Excellent point. One option is to split the settings.ini file into two files. But, I need to think about this. 

Right now the best option is to Reconfigure for two monitors.
Another option is, with VoiceComputer running, 
a. Copy the  [TWO MONITORS] section from the previous settings.ini file to the new one,
b. set mouse2=1 and CHANGECONFIGURATION=1. 
c. Restart Speech

> Also, when you use the 'Place window on <1/2>' command, VC no longer does an auto 'maximise' 
> command after. Pls bring this back as current Overlays are out of sync as a result. 

Another good point that I have to think about.
Are you saying that your previous overlays don't work or that it's a little messy because when you issue an overlay command, the window is resized.

The new commands are simpler (which I always like!).
New Overlays should work better with the new full-screen Windows instead of the old maximized ones. (When we first developed Overlays, we had problems with maximized windows because of the way Windows handles them.)

Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
thetrad9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetrad9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:18am
Hello Ron,

> Another good point that I have to think about.
> Are you saying that your previous overlays don't work or that it's a little messy because when you issue > an overlay command, the window is resized.    

What I'm saying is 
Even if I can revive my Overlays, this issue renders all of them unusable 'cus they would be all out of wack 'cus they're configure for maximised screens & saying <Maximise> after every <Place Window...>  command is tedious 

(2)Is it possible to temporarily have the <Maximise> command fire after every <Place Window left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> command, or can I setup a custom command somehow ?

(3) I've spent a considerable amount of time configuring & 'naming' loads of Overlays.  I have backups of all my relevant XML files.  How can I have them work with my latest VoiceComputer 1.25 installation ?

(4) Would be great to have a 'Backup Overlays' & 'Import Overlays' option in the VoiceComputer  configuration menus.  

Thanks
Soti

Edited by thetrad9 - 07 Feb 2019 at 5:21am
RonK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:11am
> (2)Is it possible to temporarily have the <Maximise> command fire after every <Place Window
> left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> command, or can I setup a custom command somehow ?

Yes, by editing the positioncmds.xml command file.  I'll do this for you within the next day and send it to you.
(But, I still have to test the maximize option before I decide which is the better command to distribute. )

> Would be great to have a 'Backup Overlays' & 'Import Overlays' option in the VoiceComputer  
> configuration menus.

the Backup / Import VoiceComputer's configuration files backs up the overlays but I'll add Backup Overlays as a submenu.  Also, need to backup configuration fro 2 and 3 monitors.

Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
thetrad9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetrad9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:04am
Hi Ron, 

Yes the Backup and restore settings does deal with overlays, but not with overlay 'Names'.  Please add this as a feature.  

Please Bring back command for when PC loses focus to turn 'off' Intag grid entirely.  At the moment you can only turn the grid off for a specified number of seconds etc.  I like it to turn off grid completely in this situation so that I can start fresh again using the task 1/2... Commands to choose the window I'm working with.    

Best
Soti
RonK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:40am
Will have an update in a few hours...
Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
RonK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:36pm
Released VC 2019 v1.30

Yes the Backup and restore settings does deal with overlays, but not with overlay 'Names'.  Please add this as a feature. 
> Done

Please Bring back command for when PC loses focus to turn 'off' Intag grid entirely.  
>Done

Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic