The Voice Computer Forum visit our website at www.voicecomputer.com

Forum Home Forum Home > Speech Recognition > VoiceComputer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Permanent hotkeys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimbargent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Permanent hotkeys
    Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:34am
I wonder, is there a way of programming "show numbers" and "hide numbers" as permanent hotkeys that will endure a power-down and restart? 

The ESC can work, but its use can have unintended consequences if the program in use recognises ESC in some other way.

As wonderful as Voicecomputer is, there are times when a page becomes over cluttered in the extreme by Intags.Practically, if I am on the business call I may need to say to a client, "hold on a moment while I talk to my computer".  
RonK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:18am
 there are times when a page becomes over cluttered in the extreme by Intags

Understood. We have had tested ways to just show some controls but then the product starts getting more complex, not easier.

> is there a way of programming "show numbers" and "hide numbers"
>  as permanent hotkeys that will endure a power-down and restart? 

Yes, but we'd have to do the programming. I'll add it to our 'to-do' list.

Ron

VoiceComputer Developer
Nimbargent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimbargent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm
Thank you, Ron.

I very much understand why the number of Intags displayed is something of a compromise. 

After a little playing around, I managed to use Rob's Hotkeys for Dragon by adding an icon to the taskbar. It's a two-click approach to temporarily dismissing the Intags. 

Speech1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speech1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:14am
Stephen,

I was just about to advise that but you already came up with the idea yourself ;-)
You could also add a shortcut of Hotkeys for Dragon to your Windows startup folder so that it will launch whenever Windows starts.
Personally I find it intuitive to use the F1 key for the "hide numbers" command (I have never used the F1 key for other purposes anyway and it's good to disable that useless Windows Help function).
The current version doesn't start minimized anymore, but in your case that may be better. Let me know and I will send you the version that starts minimized.

Rob

Edited by Speech1965 - 05 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
http://www.speechproductivity.eu
Next-Generation Dictation Boxes and more
Nimbargent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimbargent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:34pm
Thank you, Rob, this almost works. I have tried all this and there are a few idiosyncrasies but the news is generally good.

It is only by using these systems aggressively in the real work environment that the practical problems come to light. When working alone at the computer the Intag system works brilliantly. It needs a silent uninterrupted work environment to maximise productivity. Then you receive a 'phone call and you need to discuss computer documents with the client. Now the Intags become a distraction and you need to get rid of them, but you have to put the client on mute while you restart your voice session to say hide intags. 

Unfortunately, voice computing and client phone calls do not go well together. 

The critical manual override, as you say, needs to be the hide Intag key.
Speech1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speech1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
Thanks Stephen for letting me know that my startup folder solution almost works ;-).
I should've realized that Dragon needs to be running first in order to make Hotkeys work.
(and yes, it should also be closed properly before rebooting).

Your method of adding an icon to the taskbar is the right approach.

Rob
http://www.speechproductivity.eu
Next-Generation Dictation Boxes and more
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic